Tenant Management Organisations

Tenant Management Organisations (TMOs) are a group made up of customers in a residential area that provide some, or all, housing management tasks on behalf of their landlord.

This can include the management of a small quantity of properties, normally managed by volunteers, or large estates with employees such as Housing Managers, Caretakers and Repair Operatives.

TMOs are usually led by an elected board of residents and become an independent legal body. Once both are in place, TMOs can then enter into a legal contract with their landlord and will be granted annual management and maintenance allowances.

Typical tasks overseen by a TMO can include:

  • cleaning and caretaking
  • collecting rents and chasing arrears
  • day-to-day repairs and maintenance
  • dealing with anti-social behaviour
  • dealing with neighbour disputes
  • hiring employees and/or contractors to carry out these functions
  • ensuring the customers are informed and listened to
  • letting the houses to new customers
  • managing major works
  • managing and controlling the budget for management and maintenance
  • services to Leaseholders
  • statutory consultation

How we support Tenant Management Organisations

In line with the Regulator of Social Housing’s consumer standards, we work closely with customers who wish to start TMOs.

We provide support and guidance on the options available to TMOs and ensure they have a clear understanding of the services they will need to deliver and the implications involved in self-management.

How to start a Tenant Management Organisation

If you are interested in starting a TMO, you will need to complete an application. This application will require a ballot (vote) of all affected residents before any consent can be given.

Your application will be submitted to the Executive Management Team and Board, who will make the final decision. If your application is approved, training and financial support will be provided.

Please contact us to find out more.

You can also visit the Government’s website for further guidance.